King of Chitlin’ Circuit Bobby Rush still groovin’ into his 80s: SXSW 2014
One of the highlights of my time at SXSW 2014 was seeing Mr. Bobby Rush (who was nominated this past year for a 2014 GRAMMY Award in Best Blues Album for “Down In Louisiana”). There is a bit of discrepancy as to his age. He told the audience he was 81, however Wikipedia says 73.… Continue reading
Psychedelic hard rock dreams at SXSW: Ocean of Stars
I saw the new band my sister Melanie Martinez, bass player in Austin, just joined, called Ocean of Stars. They performed at their first SXSW showcase and it was awesome. People were gathering around the stage as their set unfolded, the band like the pied pipers of rock. I got seriously caught in the groove… Continue reading
is a blog exploring the resiliency of the human spirit thru community, culture & expression (oh & damn good music…).
- Reclaiming Lakota narratives & sovereignty through graffiti culture
- Multi-instrumentalist and Grammy-winning songwriter Dom Flemons illuminates hidden American history in his music.
- The blues according to Nina Simone: my ode to Queen Nina
- James Booker: Producer Scott Billington on the enigmatic “Bayou Maharaja” (Part 2)
- James Booker: Producer Scott Billington on the enigmatic “Bayou Maharaja” (Part 1)