Trouble in mind: AJ Croce plays the blues his way
I recently was introduced to AJ Croce, an incredible singer/songwriter, boogie-woogie and barrelhouse blues piano player, and guitarist, whose new album Twelve Tales was released in February on Compass Records. Anyone whose been reading my blog should know that I’m a huge blues fan and I also have a love for boogie-woogie and barrelhouse blues.… Continue reading
Legends of the 88s: Cuba to Chicago, New Orleans to New York
Since September is traditionally back-to-school month, I thought I’d do a short history lesson on some of the most influential roots piano players. Whether barrelhouse, boogie woogie, boogaloo, or rumba, hard pounding rhythmic piano playing has found its home in the brothels and the concert halls, with styles traveling that swath of land and sea… Continue readingAmericas, Blues, Chicago, Country, Creole, Cuba, Jazz, Keyboards, Latin Jazz, New Orleans, New York City, Nuyorican, Piano, Salsa Music
is a blog exploring the resiliency of the human spirit thru community, culture & expression (oh & damn good music…).
- Reclaiming Lakota narratives & sovereignty through graffiti culture
- Multi-instrumentalist and Grammy-winning songwriter Dom Flemons illuminates hidden American history in his music.
- The blues according to Nina Simone: my ode to Queen Nina
- James Booker: Producer Scott Billington on the enigmatic “Bayou Maharaja” (Part 2)
- James Booker: Producer Scott Billington on the enigmatic “Bayou Maharaja” (Part 1)