King of Chitlin’ Circuit Bobby Rush still groovin’ into his 80s: SXSW 2014
One of the highlights of my time at SXSW 2014 was seeing Mr. Bobby Rush (who was nominated this past year for a 2014 GRAMMY Award in Best Blues Album for “Down In Louisiana”). There is a bit of discrepancy as to his age. He told the audience he was 81, however Wikipedia says 73.… Continue reading
Bobby “Blue” Bland: into the blues pantheon
The first time I heard the song “I Pity The Fool”, I stopped dead in my tracks and was completely drawn in by the growling vocals of Bobby “Blue” Bland. I immediately bought a 2-disc anthology to introduce myself to the man. Born in Tennessee, “Blue” Bland sang iconic songs “Ain’t No Love In The… Continue reading
is a blog exploring the resiliency of the human spirit thru community, culture & expression (oh & damn good music…).
- Reclaiming Lakota narratives & sovereignty through graffiti culture
- Multi-instrumentalist and Grammy-winning songwriter Dom Flemons illuminates hidden American history in his music.
- The blues according to Nina Simone: my ode to Queen Nina
- James Booker: Producer Scott Billington on the enigmatic “Bayou Maharaja” (Part 2)
- James Booker: Producer Scott Billington on the enigmatic “Bayou Maharaja” (Part 1)